Tips on surviving through the festive season!
- Don’t try and lose weight over the festive season, with end of year work functions, Christmas parties with family and friends and all the special foods that come with it, just about impossible! So your main aim/goal is should be to maintain your weight instead of losing weight!
- Eat regular meals throughout the day, if you are skipping meals you are more likely to fill up on high fat snacks or you will look for a solution which is quick and easy normally means something like take out.
- Avoid going to functions HANGRY we all know what HANGRY looks like and it’s not pretty
- Have a small healthy snack before you head into the function whether it is a piece of fruit with some yogurt so some carrot or celery sticks with hummus. Also, another tip here is to drink a few glasses of water before you arrive so you are hydrated and will feel less hungry when you get there!
- Try and steer clear of the deep-fried foods, crumbed & battered foods. Instead choose fruit, vegetable or bread-based snacks.
- If you are taking a plate, make yours a healthy option. How about a platter of fruit currently in season! Strawberries are a must.
- Chat and mingle. If you are bored at a party you’re more likely to hover around the food table or seek out the serving platter. A good conversation can district you from the food. Avoid standing right beside the food table or bar while you’re talking.
- Be aware of how much your drinking if it comes to a couple of alcoholic beverages try and consider using soda water to dilute the drink with spirit mixers and lite beers are a better choice as they are lower in calories.
- Keep active on Christmas day, backyard cricket game or go a walk with your family and friends on the day. Aim for 30 minutes of physical activity or more if you can.